SAFEagent supports Gas Safety Week 2018
SAFEagent is taking part in Gas Safety Week (17th-23rd September 2018) – raising awareness of gas safety and the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances, which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
This year, Gas Safety Week is addressing a whole range of gas safety matters throughout the week, from tackling illegal gas work to reminding people to avoid DIY when it comes to gas appliances. A useful date for agents’ diaries during the week is Wednesday 19th, which focuses on ‘Responsible Renting’, and landlords’ duties regarding gas safety.
Keep up-to-date with Gas Safe Register’s updates and advice throughout Gas Safety Week by following them on social media (Facebook, Twitter @GasSafeRegister and Instagram) and search #GSW18.
Gas Safe Register’s top tips:
- Know the symptoms of CO poisoning; headaches, nausea, breathlessness, collapse, dizziness and loss of consciousness.
- If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, call the free 24-hour national gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999.
- Never attempt to work on a gas appliance yourself, always seek the help of a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer who can work on your gas cooker, boiler or fire in a safe way.
- ‘Don’t cut corners’ and always ask to see your engineer’s Gas Safe ID card. Make sure you check the back of the card, which will state which gas appliances they are qualified to work on.
- Only employ a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer when having gas work carried out in your home. Gas Safe Register is the official register for legally qualified engineers. You can find a registered engineer in your area by visiting the Gas Safe Register website at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or by calling on 0800 408 5500.